Sunday, April 4, 2010

Salmon Says

I love, love, love salmon. While salmon may not be the king or queen of fish, it's my little princess and I treat it as such. On a Saturday night, I could be painting the town pink, salmon pink that is, instead I'm thinking of enjoying my Easter Sunday with a trusty favorite: Salmon sautéed with Peppers and White wine.
I love to eat this with potatoes or with rice. When I want to dress up this salmon dish, I seek out red potatoes. I love those little potatoes, they are so cute. I know it sounds like I'm not talking about food using terms like "dress up" or "cute" but that is entirely a matter of opinion.. Ha!
I digress... After scrubbing the potatoes in warm water and rinsing off. I prepare the my browning them with garlic and butter in a pan for about 10 minutes. Then I cast them away into a baking pan or better a cast iron skillet and add rosemary, and 2 cups of red wine (yes cooking with wine is my thing, I'd say more but that's a conversation for another day). A pinch of salt and black pepper sprinkled evenly over every last red, round potato. I leave that for 35-40 minutes in a preheated oven (about 400°F).
Now I suppose you're wondering what about the salmon? Where the heck is the salmon recipe? Very well, I shall let you have it. It is hard to rush a little princess, or share them - yet share it I will...



Ingredients
*Quantities are based on 1 whole fillet of salmon, assuming a whole salmon was halved*
Salmon Fillets (skinned) – Canned (3 cans) or Fresh (1 cleaned fillet)
2 Red Peppers
2 Green Peppers
½ Red Onion
1 tbsp Tomato sauce (blended tomatoes)
6-8 tbsp White cooking wine (optional but I love it)
3 tbsp Vegetable Oil (I use Canola oil - healthier)
1 tsp Oregano
1 tsp Thyme
1 ½ - 2 tbsp Chili Pepper Flakes (you can use more depending on how spicy you want your food, but don't use too much b/c it'll drown out other flavors)
2 tbsp Minced Garlic
1 tsp Pureed Ginger/ finely chopped ginger
½ tsp Salt


Marinade
1.5 tbsp Adobo
In case this isn’t available: it is a blend of salt, garlic powder, black pepper, oregano, turmeric (in equal parts)

Directions
With fresh salmon, after slicing the fillet into serving-size pieces, rub in the marinade at least 2 hours before preparation. Leave to marinate in the refrigerator. With canned salmon, do nothing, it will be added last to the other ingredients as it’s already cooked.

Clean the peppers, and remove stalks, then cut peppers in half, length-wise. Remove seeds and pith of the peppers. Slice the peppers in thin strips about ¼ of an inch. Slice onions as thinly as possible in thin strips as well.

Heat oil in the sauté pan on the highest heat setting, and once oil is hot (after about 1 minute), add the onions, ginger, and thyme, and chili pepper flakes.

Once the onions starts to get a little translucent add the peppers and sauté for about 1 minute, and then add in the white wine. Stir briefly and allow to rest for another minute on medium heat.

Add the tomato sauce and stir in oregano.

Add the fresh salmon and cover the pan, and leave for 3 minutes. The turn the fillets over, and cover the pan for another 2-3 minutes.

With the canned salmon, just add it in at step 6 and allow it to simmer for 4 minutes, no more than 6 minutes so it doesn’t start to disintegrate. With canned salmon, don’t add any salt to the dish. It is most likely loaded with sodium already.


The red potatoes with Rosemary waiting to be browned


Red and Green Peppers cleaned and sliced


Slice the red onions thinly


Add white wine into peppers and salmon to finish the dish

4 comments:

  1. It looks so good Bee. I want some. and i dont eat fish. MORE please

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww! Thanks! More coming.... Please follow for updates...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Osanobua!!!! that dish is just calling my name, whispering it softly across the many miles that separate me from it!!!! Ride on Bose - you are definitely going places!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha! Food is a very powerful thing... Making you hear things? I love it.. Thanks again Wande!

    ReplyDelete